Concerns ring out across Grounds at UVA after five more suspected cases of mumps are found among students. University officials are now calling these cases an outbreak.     

Student Health Director Dr. James Turner announced Monday that more suspected cases of mumps have been identified in students at UVA.     

NBC29's Alyson Smith spoke with Dr. Lillian Peake, health director of the Thomas Jefferson Health District. She said they have made the determination that there are five new probable cases of mumps, bringing the total number to seven at this time.     

UVA is treating this as an outbreak--technically defined as three or more cases at a time. The infected students have been isolated, but all had been vaccinated previously. But, according to Dr. Turner, getting the vaccination doesn't necessarily mean you can't contract mumps.

"There's no evidence that we're dealing with a bad vaccination at all.  That's been thoroughly looked at in the Iowa outbreak.  And we just know that the vaccine is 95% effective, leaving 5% potentially at risk of coming down with the disease," stated Turner.      

Dr. Turner believes that this outbreak may be related to an episode of mumps earlier this year at an Iowa school. He says students who may have been in that region could potentially have brought it to Charlottesville. Roughly two percent of the student body or 30 students came down with the mumps in Iowa.     

Dr. Turner says there are still more than 250 UVA students who have still not either turned in their medical forms or received a vaccination. Those students will not be allowed to register for spring classes, which start in just a couple weeks, until they turn in their forms or get the vaccination.

Concerns ring out across Grounds at UVA after five more suspected cases of mumps are found among students. University officials are now calling these cases an outbreak.