Carla Williams Named Womens Leaders in College Sports Administrator of the Year
University of Virginia Media Release
Charlottesville, Va. – Virginia athletics director Carla Williams was announced today (July 23) as the Women Leaders in College Sports 2019 Administrator of the Year for all NCAA Division I FBS athletics programs. She is one of eight female administrators from different levels of college athletics that will be honored Oct. 15 at the organization’s 2019 Women Leaders National Convention in Phoenix. Williams was nominated by her peers and selected based on her service during the 2018-19 academic year.
Under Williams’ direction in 2018-19, UVA won two NCAA Championships (men’s basketball and men’s lacrosse), finished eighth in the Directors’ Cup all-sports standings, won the men’s side of the Capital One Cup Award and launched the $180 million Master Plan for athletics improvements including a new football operations center and an Olympic sports center.
Williams was named UVA’s director of athletics in October of 2017. She was the first female African-American athletics director at a Power Five conference institution. At the time, she was the fifth active female athletics director at that level.
Also announced as Administrators of the Year were:
- Sharon D. Brummell (NCAA Division I FCS), Senior Associate Athletics Director for Business and Finance, Chief Financial Officer and Senior Woman Administrator, Georgetown
- Dr. Renae Myles (NCAA Division I), Senior Associate Athletic Director, Chief Operating Officer and Senior Woman Administrator, Winthrop
- Karen Stromme (NCAA Division II), Senior Associate Athletic Director and Senior Woman Administrator, Minnesota-Duluth
- Jan Hathorn (NCAA Division III), Michael F. Walsh Director of Athletics, Chair, Physical Education, Athletics and Recreation Dept., Washington and Lee
- Robin J. Harris (Association/Organization), Executive Director, The Ivy League
- Brooke Henze (NAIA/NJCAA/CC), Athletic Director, Lewis-Clark State College
- Dr. China L. Jude (Nell Jackson Administrator of the Year), Senior Associate Athletics Director for Administration and Senior Woman Administrator, Wyoming
“The devotion these outstanding women have to intercollegiate athletics and the advancement of women in our profession is exceptional,” says Patti Phillips, CEO of Women Leaders in College Sports. “We are thrilled to celebrate and award these astounding women for their leadership and service in the industry at the National Convention in Phoenix.”
The Administrator of the Year Award is presented to Women Leaders in College Sports members for significant contributions made as an administrator of intercollegiate athletics. This award, recognizing administrative excellence, is presented annually to members in each NCAA division: Division I, FBS, FCS, Division II, Division III, NAIA/NJCAA or Conference/Organization.
The Nell Jackson Administrator of the Year Award is presented annually to an athletics administrator who exemplifies the personal qualities and professional accomplishments of Dr. Nell Jackson. This award is given to an individual who demonstrates qualities such as courage, conviction, and perseverance, and who is an advocate for gender equity and diversity. This award honors athletics administrators who are NCAA/Women Leaders in College Sports Institute for Administrative Advancement graduates and demonstrate vision and outstanding leadership.