Route 250 Bypass Trail Construction to Begin June 17
ALBEMARLE COUNTY, Va. (WVIR) - A new section of the Route 250 bypass commuter trail is scheduled to start construction on Monday, June 17.
The new bicycle and pedestrian shared-use path will run between Hydraulic and Meadowbrook Heights roads.
The project will convert the existing sidewalk into an asphalt path and extend the path under the Dairy Road Bridge for bike and pedestrian traffic.
“This particular segment will cost about $900,000 between construction and project management, and expected to take to take two months,” Chris Gensic, Charlottesville Parks and Recreation’s parks and trails planner, said. “We're working really hard to limit the amount of impacts to any traffic during that time.”
The next phase of the trail will be to connect the YMCA to western McIntire Park.
The goal is to one day have a continuous bike and pedestrian trail to connect the Downtown Mall to Route 29 by the old Kmart.
"The Kmart redevelopment will be constructing some of this trail out to Route 29 as part of their development," Gensic said. "We're applying for another grant, the same funding that paid for this to get from Hydraulic Road over to the Kmart."
The entire project is projected to take about three years to complete, and it'll be funded by a combination of federal, state, and local funding sources.
06/13/2019 Release from Charlottesville:
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - A new section of the 250 Bypass bicycle and pedestrian shared use path will begin construction on Monday, June 17. This new trail will connect Hydraulic Road to Meadowbrook Heights Road and western McIntire Park along the north side of the bypass.
The trail is planned to eventually be connected to the YMCA, the new bicycle pedestrian bridge at McIntire Park, and the John Warner Parkway and Schenks Greenway trails. The existing sidewalk will be converted into an asphalt shared use path, and a retaining wall will be constructed under the Dairy Road bridge to support extension of the trail to the intersection with Meadowbrook Heights Road. A crossing island refuge will be constructed at the 250/Meadowbrook Heights Road intersection.
Construction of the project is expected to last about two months with a goal of completion before the next school year begins in late August. This portion of the trail has a cost of approximately $1 million and is funded through the VDOT Transportation Alternatives Program, where the city provides 20% of the cost and VDOT/FHWA provide the remaining 80%.
The construction entrance at Meadowbrook Heights road will incur temporary closures for traffic entering the 250 Bypass from Grove Road side. Detours will be put in place during any closures. The turn lane exiting 250 Bypass westbound into the neighborhood will remain open for use except for rare temporary closures if needed. A secondary construction entrance will be installed at the Keith Valley Road dead end adjacent to the bypass. Traffic can use Meadowbrook Heights to King Mountain Road to Brandywine Drive to access Hydraulic Road or can use Dairy Road to Rugby Road to access the 250 Bypass near Hydraulic Road.
The project is not expected to impact vehicular traffic on the 250 Bypass during construction. Pedestrian traffic along the sidewalk will be temporarily out of service during construction. This project will improve this stretch to ADA accessible standards, and will also allow for legal bicycle use.
Plans can be found at www.charlottesville.org/trails.