CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WVIR) - Six people are displaced from their home in Charlottesville after a fire broke out overnight.

Crews responded to the 400 block of 10th Street Northwest just before 2 a.m. Wednesday, June 5. They reported heavy fire on the second floor of the home when they arrived.

Everyone living in the house was able to get out before emergency crews arrived.

"We currently have six adult occupants of the residence displaced and the Red Cross is on the way to provide support to those folks who have been displaced. The fire is currently under investigation by the Charlottesville's Fire Marshall's Office," said Charlottesville Fire Chief Andrew Baxter. 

Baxter does not believe there was a smoke alarm in the home. The fire chief is reminding everyone living in Charlottesville to take advantage of the city's free smoke alarm program.


06/05/2019 Release from the Charlottesville Fire Department:

Charlottesville, Va – The Charlottesville Fire Dept. responded to a reported house fire in the 400 block of 10th St. NW at 1:57 a.m. The first units arrived at 2:01 a.m. with fire showing from a second floor window on the front of the house. A quick knock down of fire from the exterior resulted in a near extinguishment. Crews made entry and were able to extinguish remaining hot spots. The fire was contained to the second floor.

All units cleared the scene at 3:13 a.m. Three engine companies, one ladder company, two medic units, and two battalion chiefs responded to this incident. There were no injuries.

Six individuals have been displaced from their home. The Charlottesville Fire Dept. is working with the American Red Cross to find shelter for them.

All families are reminded to be sure you have operating smoke detectors installed in your home. Test them regularly and change batteries (if applicable) when you change time on clocks twice a year.

If you have any questions related to this news release, please contact Capt. Brian Powell at 434-531-7642.

The Charlottesville Fire Department would like to remind everyone that smoke detectors save lives. A free detector is available to all City residents. Call 434-970-3245 to schedule your smoke detector install.