ALBEMARLE COUNTY, Va. (WVIR) - A development project in Albemarle County is transforming an old factory into a 12,000 square-foot space with all the Charlottesville staples: beer, food, outdoor activities, and more.

Over the years, there's been plenty of talk about revamping the old factory at Woolen Mills.

Now, 80% of this transformation has been taken over by Charlottesville tech company WillowTree, and the other 20% is putting a spin on the traditional Charlottesville favorites.

Down by the water on the border of the county and city sits the old Woolen Mills factory.

“I doubt most of Charlottesville knows this place exists at all,” Dan FitzHenry, the chief operating officer of the facility and the general manager of Grit Coffee, said.

The building may look decrepit on the outside, but by 2020 it should be thriving.

"Big open space, with lots of light, we're right here on the river,” Claire Macfarlan, the director of operations, said.

It can also be used as a spot for weddings and other events.

People involved with its restoration say the space will be available to book for events, and is also a spot where people can drop by and grab a craft beer and eat some food.

It’ll also include a coffee and wine shop, along with a courtyard.

It may sound similar to places you see all the time, but the difference is the location and the people behind it.

“They picked people who were already doing well in their field to collaborate together and make something really great,” Macfarlan said.

The team consists of FitzHenry and two other Grit Coffee owners, executive chef Tucker Yoder, Champion Brewing Company owner Hunter Smith, and Macfarlan, who helped design Common House.

“We see these things done well, but ways that it can be built on, right?” Macfarlan said. “So an industrial space instead of a vineyard, or a unique style of beer and also having them all together."

It might be hard to envision it all now when looking at the building, but that will soon change.

“It's just kind of secluded at the end of the road down here, but it's not going to be for very long," FitzHenry said.

The project is expected to be complete by this December.

WillowTree is expected to move in to the space in April of 2020.