Updated: Charlottesville Family, Pet Safe After Kitchen Fire
A family and their pet in Charlottesville are safe thanks to a working smoke detector.
Sunday, April 14th 2019, 7:16 PM EDT
A family and their pet in Charlottesville are safe thanks to a working smoke detector. The Charlottesville Fire Department responded to a call in the 1800 block of Berkshire Road shortly before 5 p.m. on Sunday evening.
Two adults and two children were able to get out of the home, but fire crews rescued a dog from inside. One women has been taken to the UVA Medical Center for burns.
Fire crews say the family will not be displaced from their home. They estimate damages at roughly $15,000.
04/14/2019 Charlottesville Fire Department Press Release:
Charlottesville, VA – Sunday April 14th, 2019 at 16:42pm, units from the Charlottesville Fire Department responded to the report of a house fire. Upon arrival the fire department found heavy smoke coming from the duplex. Crews made entry into the home and located a fire in the kitchen. The residents reported pets still inside the building upon the fire department arrival. Engine 1 rapidly entered the home and extinguished the fire. Truck 9 searched the home and removed a dog. Engine 1 found a hamster and removed it to safety. All the animals were returned to the owners and appeared to be in good health.
The fire started while cooking on the stove. Residents attempted to put out the fire out. The fire grew out of control and the residents called 911 to report the fire. Charlottesville Fire Department responded with 4 engines, 1 ladder truck, 1 ambulance and a Battalion Chief. Seminole Trail Vol. Fire Department responded with 1 engine and a chief officer. Charlottesville-
Albemarle Rescue Squad responded with 1 ambulance.
The kitchen fire started in the area of the stove and spread to the floor and cabinets. The fire was contained to the kitchen. There was one civilian injury treated by EMS personnel. The residents will be displaced while repairs are made to the building. Total damages are estimated to be approximately $10,000. The Charlottesville Fire Department would like to take the opportunity to give the community some tips on fighting a grease fires. Always call 911 before attempting to extinguish any fire.
If a grease fire starts:
- Cover the flames with a metal lid or cookie sheet.
- Turn off the heat source.
- If it's small and manageable, pour baking soda or salt on it to smother the fire.
- As a last resort, spray the fire with a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher.
- Do not try to extinguish the fire with water.
If you have any questions related to this news release, please contact Battalion Chief Joe Phillips at 434-970-3358.