UVA Basketball Advances to NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 Beating Oklahoma 63-51
COLUMBIA, SC - The 1-seed Virginia basketball team has advanced to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 for the third time in the Tony Bennett era beating Oklahoma 63-51 in the tournament's second round.
Virginia got a game-high 14 points and 9 rebounds from Mamadi Diakite, who was in UVa's starting lineup.
Ty Jerome had 12 points, De'Andre Hunter had 10 points. Kihei Clark and Braxton Key each had nine.
Virginia led 31-22 in at halftime and never trailed in the second half.
Virginia shot 48.2 percent despite Kyle Guy shooting 0-of-10 from three-point range.
Oklahoma shot just 36.5 percent.
Virginia has advanced to the Sweet 16 for the 10th time in program history.
The Cavaliers advance to play 12-seed Oregon Thursday in Louisville, Kentucky.
That game is scheduled to tip-off at about 10pm and will be televised by TBS.
Oregon has won ten straight games and is in the Sweet 16 for the third time in four years.
- UVA tied a school record with its 31st win
- The Cavaliers improved to 3-0 at Colonial Life Arena this season, including wins against South Carolina (69-52), Gardner-Webb (71-56) and Oklahoma (63-51)
- Virginia is 3-1 record against Oklahoma, including a 2-0 mark in the NCAA Tournament
- UVA is 4-0 record against the Big 12 in the NCAA Tournament.
- Virginia went on an 18-2 en route to a 31-22 lead at intermission
- Virginia is 15-18 all-time vs. Big 12 foes
NCAA Tournament Notes
- UVA a 31-22 all-time in the NCAA Tournament
- UVA recorded its 10th win in the NCAA round of 32
- UVA is 14-6 as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament
- Virginia head coach Tony Bennett is 12-8 in nine NCAA tournaments, including a 9-6 record at UVA.
- Double-figure scorers: Mamadi Diakite (14), Ty Jerome (12), De’Andre Hunter (10)
- Diakite matched a career high with nine rebounds
- Jerome (3 assists) moved into sixth on UVA’s single-season assist list 175
- Diakite (3 blocks) moved into seventh on UVA’s single-season blocks list with 50
- Braxton Key (9 points) matched a season high with nine rebounds