No. 5 UVa Basketball Defeats William & Mary By 32 Points
No. 5 Virginia stays undefeated at 11-0 after defeating William and Mary by 32 points.
No. 5 Virginia got a combined 34 points from Kyle Guy and De'Andre Hunter in beating William and Mary by 32 points 72-40.
Hunter led Virginia with 18 points. Guy had 16.
"We've been working hard at rebounding," says UVa head coach Tony Bennett. "That one rebound Kyle had and that put back, I don't know if he needed to show us his guns, but we've been working hard and that showed in that situation.
"I was flexing on anyone who wanted to see it, says UVa junior guard Kyle Guy. "Coach always gives me a hard time because I don't always get back like I'm supposed to because I like to get those offensive rebounds so, when I do, it's a special moment for me."
The Cavaliers jumped out to a 25-8 lead and led by 11 at halftime 34-23. The Tribe had a stretch where it missed 13 of 14 shots.
Virginia shot 48 percent. William & Mary shot 33 percent. The 'Hoos shot 91 percent at the free-throw line compared to just 38 percent for the Tribe.
Virginia made 5-of-12 three-pointers. William and Mary made just 2-of-20.
All 13 players on Virginia's roster got into the game. It was also the sixth time this season Virginia held an opponent to 50 points or fewer.
UVa junior guard Ty Jerome says, "Everyone did a good job about getting rebounds whoever was guarding man five had their hands full trying to keep him off the glass trying to keep him in front and banging with him, so it was our job and us guards and just everybody just come back in and rebounding the ball as a team and we did a good job of that today."
Virginia improves to 11-0 on the season and plays its next game on New Year's Eve at home against Marshall at 1pm.
• Virginia has started 11-0 for the first time since starting 19-0 in 2014-15
• Virginia has an 11-game winning streak vs. William & Mary
• UVA is 71-6 in nonconference action at John Paul Jones Arena under Tony Bennett
• UVA is 2-0 vs. Colonial Athletic Association opponents (Towson/William & Mary) in 2018-19 and 95-30 all-time
• Bennett recorded his 299th career win (230th at Virginia)
• The Cavaliers are 2-0 vs. opponents from the Commonwealth of Virginia and 19-3 in the past 22 games vs. in-state foes
• UVA is 6-0 when holding opponents to fewer than 50 points (81-3 all-time under Bennett)
• UVA went on a 20-2 run in the first half and 17-2 run in the second half
• The Cavaliers forced William & Mary into a scoring drought of 6:12 in the first half
• UVA out-rebounded the Tribe 42-24
• Double-figure scorers: De’Andre Hunter (18), Kyle Guy (16)
• Hunter made a career-best nine free throws
• Jerome had a career-high nine rebounds
• Guy drilled two 3-pointers to move into sole possession of 10th place on UVA’s all-time 3-pointers list with 163
• Guy matched a career high with seven rebounds
• Francesco Badocchi made his UVA debut