Downtown Businesses Participate in Cross-Promotion Deals
In efforts to cross-promote fellow businesses, owners have teamed up this weekend for Friendship Day sales.
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (WVIR) - Businesses in Downtown Charlottesville are expecting a dip in sales next weekend as the anniversary of the Unite the Right anniversary approaches. As a result, stores are banding together to boost business before next weekend.
In efforts to cross-promote fellow businesses, owners have teamed up this weekend for Friendship Day sales. Businesses on the Downtown Mall are hoping the sale could make up for slower days next weekend.
“The businesses have a lot of financial concerns about next weekend, but most importantly I think it’s important we all connect as community members,” said co-owner of Market Street Wine Sian Richards. “I’m encouraging everyone to think of all of the ways we’re connected and all of the ways we can support one another, which includes supporting local business.”
Businesses are offering discounts between 10 and 15 percent off total purchases when you bring in a same-day receipt from another participating shop.
Places such as Market Street Wine, The Pie Chest, Citizen Burger Bar, The Candy Store, and Darling Boutique are on board with the sale.
“The reason I wanted to be a part of it is…coming together as a neighborhood downtown is really important and it’s something I love as a small business owner downtown,” said owner of Darling Boutique Linnea White.
Owners say next weekend is going to be tough, but they hope the promotion is one way to keep the community strong.
“Coming together as a community, to be neighbors and friends to one another is a really great message for right now,” White said.
Business owners say they’d like to see more of these cross-promotional events in the area.
“The collaborative nature of this weekend is the thing that seems the most fun to me,” Richards said. “It connects all of us neighbors that are business people but all of our customers [too].”
The sale kicks off on Saturday and most participating businesses are continuing the deals through Sunday.
See below for a full list of participating businesses and their deals:
- Market Street Wine: 10% off a bottle of wine
- The Pie Chest: A free cookie
- The Candy Store: 15% off your purchase
- Hedge Fine Blooms: 10% off plants and/or flowers (Saturday only)
- O'Suzannah: 15% off your purchase!
- Splendora's: 10% off your purchase
- Telegraph Art & Comics: 10% off your purchase
- Derriere de Soie:15% off your purchase (Sat only & not applicable to special orders or combined with other offers.)
- Citizen burger Bar: a free citizen hand-cut fry cup w/ purchase of two entrees.
- Rock Paper Scissors: 10% off the store (some exclusions apply) plus free gift with every purchase of $10 or more!
- Darling Boutique: 15% off your purchase(Not to be combined with other offers)