4 school bus drivers no longer with Albemarle County
ALBEMARLE COUNTY, Va. (WVIR) - Four bus drivers are no longer working for Albemarle County Public Schools, making the ongoing shortage even worse.
ACPS acknowledged Tuesday, August 22, that it lost those drivers this past month. Officials did not specify the reason for those drivers leaving.
The county says it currently has 124 bus drivers, last year that number was 138.
“The designs of the route is based upon the needs of the students. Please, let me be clear, we need drivers, so we’re not trying to get rid of them,” ACPS Transportation Director Charmane White said.
Students go back to school Wednesday, Aug. 23.
The school district says it has applicants right now for drivers, and that 90% of students who applied for buses are on a route.
Families were notified two weeks ago that roughly 900 county students would not be able to ride the bus due to the shortage of drivers.
- Bus driver shortage inspires parent to create shuttle service to Walton Middle School
- Albemarle elementary school preparing for more traffic
- Albemarle police asking drivers to prepare for more traffic around school zones
- Current and former ACPS bus drivers meet with parents to discuss driver shortage
- Parents voice frustrations over bus availability during Albemarle School Board meeting
- Parents frustrated as Albemarle unable to provide school bus transportation to hundreds of students
- Albemarle County Public Schools preparing for students’ return as bus driver shortage persists
- Central Virginia school divisions trying to make progress in vacancy rates of bus drivers
- Parents speak out, urging schools to help affected students as buses continue to arrive late
- Legislation in the General Assembly could relieve ACPS bus driver shortage
- Albemarle County Public Schools providing new solutions to bus driver shortage
- ACPS Superintendent drives school buses to help with shortage
- ACPS delays addressing school bus driver shortage
- ACPS considering changing bus driver pay
- ACPS middle schooler standing up to shorten the length of bus rides
- Albemarle County Public Schools provides solutions for the current bus driver shortage
- ACPS considering public transportation use for students
- ACPS buying ‘Type A’ buses as driver recruiting tactic
- ACPS reporting late or no-show buses every day this week
- Job fairs helping ACPS recruit more bus drivers
- ACPS still feeling the impact from the bus driver shortage
- ACPS walk zone enforcement starts Oct. 11
- Check your Parent Portal for Albemarle County Public Schools’ consolidated bus routes
- Continuing bus delays lead to expanding walk zones for Albemarle County Schools
- Albemarle Co. and Charlottesville schools facing major bus driver shortages
- Albemarle County Public Schools hold training for incoming bus drivers
- Charlottesville and Albemarle both short bus drivers for coming school year
- ACPS dealing with bus driver shortage ahead of stage 4 return
- New bills could help end Albemarle County Public Schools bus driver shortage
Do you have a story idea? Send us your news tip here.
Copyright 2023 WVIR. All rights reserved.