HARRISONBURG, Va. (WHSV) - Harrisonburg officials say an explosion happened in a commercial business area around 8:30 this morning in Miller Circle. Multiple crews responded to the scene.
Officials say two individuals were flown from the scene to the University of Virginia Medical Center, they are reported to be in stable condition. One person is being treated at Rockingham Memorial Hospital.
Later, James Madison University tweeted that three students were involved in the incident. Of the three individuals recently reported injured, one individual, who was transported to Rockingham Memorial Hospital, is being treated for cuts to the arm from flying glass, according to officials. Two other JMU students were treated on the scene and released. All three students were participating in a community event.
As of 11:33 a.m., officials said the fire from the explosion is contained, but still not out. Chief Tobia with the Harrisonburg Fire Department says crews will most likely be on the scene for days.
In a 12:59 p.m. update, officials said they have no reason to believe anyone else is inside the building where the explosion occurred.
In an update at 2:41 p.m. officials said they have no reason to believe there are other injuries at this time. They are conducting a secondary search of the area.Crews are in the process of reopening South Main Street, but will continue to be onsite for the remainder of the day and the next few days.
It will likely be a few days to determine the exact cause of the explosion and fire, according to officials.
Some nearby businesses have been impacted by the explosion, but there is no belief there are serious impacts or injuries from those businesses. They haven’t been able to assess damage outside of the area for residents, but homeowners are encouraged to report property damage from the incident to the Harrisonburg Fire Department.
Multiple WHSV viewers reported hearing or feeling the explosion for miles.
Governor Ralph Northam tweeted that he deployed state emergency personnel for additional support regarding the explosion. Despite Northam’s tweet, officials can not confirm the incident was a gas explosion.
Two stores in the shopping center - Hometown Music LLC and Element Vapors Harrisonburg - report its employees are okay after the incident.
This is a breaking news story. We will bring you more information as it becomes available.