No. 3 Virginia Escapes with 66-65 Overtime Win at No. 23 NC StatePosted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Kyle Guy hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with two minutes left in overtime to help third-ranked Virginia hold off No. 23 North Carolina State 66-65 on Tuesday night.
Ty Jerome had 12 points, six rebounds and six assists for the Cavaliers (19-1, 7-1 Atlantic Coast Conference). His last assist was the drive-and-kick feed for Guy's tough corner 3 that broke a 61-all tie.
Still, the Wolfpack (16-5, 4-4) caught a break when De'Andre Hunter fouled Markell Johnson on a desperation 3 for the tie with 0.9 seconds left. But Johnson missed the first free throw, made the second and then sank the third while apparently trying to miss.
Jerome then inbounded the ball to Guy, who flung it to the other end of the court as time expired.
Johnson had 14 points to lead the Wolfpack, who rallied from 14 down early in the second half to force overtime despite shooting 34 percent.
Virginia: The Cavaliers didn't have an easy time of it, largely because of an uncharacteristic number of mistakes. Virginia matched a season high with 16 turnovers but was tough enough to survive and improve to 14-1 in ACC road games over the past two seasons.
N.C. State: The Wolfpack has followed a win-one-then-lose-one pattern in ACC play, the last being a frantic rally to beat Clemson on Braxton Beverly's buzzer-beating 3-pointer Saturday. The pattern continued at the start of a brutal stretch for the Wolfpack, with three games in a week against teams ranked 12th or higher.
• UVA posted its first overtime win since Dec. 22, 2015 vs. Cal (63-62)
• UVA is 4-2 all-time in overtime vs. NC State
• UVA has a seven-game winning streak vs. NC State
• UVA is 6-1 in true road games and 5-1 vs. ranked opponents
• The Cavaliers are 14-1 in ACC road action over the past two seasons
• Virginia is 66-82 all-time vs. NC State in the series that dates back to 1912-13
• The Cavaliers are 12-0 in their last 12 regular-season games against NC State and 12-2 in their last 14 games including a pair of losses in the ACC Tournament
• UVA has a 10-game winning streak at PNC Arena (6-0 vs. NC State and 4-0 NCAA Tournament) dating back to Jan. 9, 2010
• Tony Bennett is 12-2 vs. NC State as head coach at Virginia
• Virginia sports a 12-7 all-time record at PNC Arena in Raleigh
• UVA led 27-23 at the half despite committing eight turnovers
• UVA committed a season-high 16 turnovers
• Double-figure scorers: De’Andre Hunter (15), Ty Jerome (12), Kyle Guy (10)
• Guy has a 20-game 3-pointer streak
• Guy moved into a tie for 45th on UVA’s career scoring list with 1,032 points
• Diakite matched a career high with four blocked shots and has a 13-game blocked shot streak