The No. 3 Virginia basketball team jumped out to a 12-0 lead at Notre Dame this afternoon and never trailed, cruising to a 82-55 win.
De'Andre Hunter had a game-high 19 points. Kyle Guy had 15 points. Ty Jerome had 13.
Virginia shot 52 percent from the field and made 8-of-18 three-pointers.
Notre Dame missed its first nine shots and Virginia built a 20-point lead in the first half.
The 'Hoos outrebounded the Irish 45-33 and committed just two turnovers.
The Cavaliers improve to 18-1 and 6-1 in the ACC and play at No. 21 NC State on Tuesday.
• Virginia (18-1, 6-1 ACC) is 12-2 all-time vs. Notre Dame, including a 7-0 ACC regular-season record
• UVA is 5-0 against the Irish in Notre Dame
• UVA has limited Notre Dame to 58 or fewer points in six of the last eight meetings.
• Head coach Tony Bennett is 8-1 all-time against Notre Dame
• UVA jumped to a 12-0 lead as Notre Dame missed its first nine field goal attempts
• The Cavaliers led 42-25 at halftime behind 55.9 percent field goal shooting
• UVA is 32-1 all-time when scoring 80 or more points under Tony Bennett
• UVA is 5-1 in true road games
• Virginia tied a school record with two turnovers
• Double-figure scorers: De’Andre Hunter (19), Kyle Guy (15), Ty Jerome (13), Kihei Clark (12), Mamadi Diakite (10)
• UVA had five players in double figures for the second straight game
• Clark had a career-best 12 points
• Guy has a 19-game 3-pointer streak and has made two or more 3-pointers in each of the past 10 games
• Guy moved into a tie for 46th with Mamadi Diane on UVA’s career scoring list with 1,022 points
• Jerome matched a career high with nine rebounds
• Diakite matched career highs in blocked shots (4) and rebounds (7)
Marty Hudtloff is the Sports Director at WVIR-TV. He joined the NBC29 sports team in October of 2003. He has a degree in broadcast journalism from Bradley University. You can reach out to Marty via Email or Twitter.