UVa junior guard Ty Jerome had a season-high 25 points helping Virginia to a 69-52 win over South Carolina Wednesday night in Columbia, SC.
Jerome also had seven assists and six rebounds. Kyle Guy had 18 points and Mamadi Diakite had 10.
It was Virginia's first game after taking ten days off for final exams.
Virginia led by seven at halftime.
The Gamecocks closed to 35-31 on Felipe Haase's 3-pointer early in the second half, but the Cavaliers then grabbed control with a 17-4 run. Jerome opened the decisive stretch with a 3 and Braxton Key's dunk made it 52-35 with 13 minutes left.
Virginia shot 44 percent from the field and held USC to just 36 percent.
The Cavaliers improve to 10-0 and play host to William & Mary on Saturday.
• Virginia has started 10-0 for the first time since starting 19-0 in 2014-15
• UVA has an 11-game true road winning streak
• UVA is 26-24 all-time vs. South Carolina, including a 7-13 mark in Columbia
• The win was UVA’s first in Columbia since 1967, breaking a four-game losing streak
• UVA is 5-0 when holding opponents to fewer than 50 points (81-2 all-time under Bennett)
• The Cavaliers are 124-35 all-time in non-conference play under Bennett
• Bennett recorded his 298th career win (229th at Virginia)
• UVA led 33-26 at the half behind Ty Jerome’s 16 points
• Double-figure scorers: Ty Jerome (25), Kyle Guy (18), Mamadi Diakite (10)
• Jerome’s 25 points marked a season high
• Kihei Clark (2 points) played his second game with a cast on his left wrist. Clark had successful surgery to repair his broken wrist on Dec. 10.
• Jack Salt had a season-high nine rebounds
Ty Jerome Scores 25 Points Helping #5 Virginia Beat USC 69-52More>>
Marty Hudtloff is the Sports Director at WVIR-TV. He joined the NBC29 sports team in October of 2003. He has a degree in broadcast journalism from Bradley University. You can reach out to Marty via Email or Twitter.