The 4th ranked Virginia basketball team got a team-high 15 points from both Kyle Guy and De'Andre Hunter in blowing out Morgan State 83-45 Monday night at JPJ.
Virginia played 13 guys and all of them scored.
“It was good to see a lot of guys get opportunities to play," says UVa coach Tony Bennett. "We’re going to need everyone. Obviously, [we] started out shooting the ball well. Guys played hard and a lot of guys got experience, so I thought it was a positive night in that regard.”
Ty Jerome and Marco Anthony had eight points. Kody Stattmann had nine points.
Virginia made seven three-pointers in the first half, helping build a 24 point halftime lead.
Virginia team manager Grant Kersey scored a career-high five points in the final two and a half minutes. He also had a nice assist to his former high school teammate Austin Katstra for a fast break dunk.
The Cavaliers improve to 7-0 on the season.
Virginia's next game is Sunday at home against VCU.
• Virginia has started 8-0 for the second straight year
• UVA is 69-6 in nonconference action at John Paul Jones Arena under Bennett
• UVA is 4-0 when holding opponents to fewer than 50 points (80-2 all-time under Bennett)
• The Cavaliers are 122-35 all-time in non-conference play under Bennett
• UVA is 4-0 all-time vs. Morgan State
• UVA is 21-0 all-time vs. MEAC foes (2-0 in 2018-19)
• Bennett recorded his 296th career win (227th at Virginia)
• UVA went 7 of 7, including 4 of 4 from 3-point range, to start the game
• UVA shot a season-high 65.2 percent (15 of 23) from field in the first half
• UVA shot a season-high 91.3 percent (21 of 23) from the free throw line
• UVA held Morgan State to 25.9 percent shooting, marking a season low for the Cavaliers
• UVA scored 80 or more points for the second time this year
• Double-figure scorers: De’Andre Hunter (15), Kyle Guy (15)
• Jerome had a career-high five steals
• Hunter has reached double figures in scoring in all eight games
• Braxton Key matched a season high with nine rebounds
• Kody Stattmann had a season-high nine points
• Marco Anthony had a season-high eight points
• All 13 Cavaliers who played scored
• Francesco Badocchi suited up for the first time in 2018-19
No. 4 UVa Men's Basketball Blows Out Morgan State 83-45, Staying UndefeatedMore>>
Marty Hudtloff is the Sports Director at WVIR-TV. He joined the NBC29 sports team in October of 2003. He has a degree in broadcast journalism from Bradley University. You can reach out to Marty via Email or Twitter.