UVA Women's Basketball Beats NC A&T 67-57 on Field Trip DayPosted: Updated:
University of Virginia Athletics Media Release
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Virginia women’s basketball team (2-2) picked up a 67-57 victory over North Carolina A&T (1-3, 0-0 MEAC) on Tuesday (Nov. 20) at John Paul Jones Arena.
Junior guard Dominique Toussaint (Staten Island, N.Y.) scored a game-high 18 points with a game-leading nine rebounds. NC A&T’s C’Coriea Foy scored 16 points with seven rebounds with five assists. Virginia shot 42.9 percent (21-of-49) while NC A&T went 22-of-60 (36.7 percent).
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Cavaliers opened the game strong, leading 17-5 at the end of the first period and building up a 13-point lead early in the second period, but NC A&T outscored Virginia in both the second and third periods to narrow the gap. The Aggies pulled to within three, 41-38, on a three-pointer by Foy with 2:16 remaining in the third quarter. Virginia’s hot shooting in the final period, fueled by a stretch of four-straight made shots that included three-pointers from guards junior Jocelyn Willoughby (East Orange, N.J.) and sophomore Khyasia Caldwell (Pocono Summit, Pa.), helped the Cavaliers build up the final 10-point margin of victory.
· Virginia outrebounded its opponent for the fourth-straight game (34-33)
· NC A&T missed 11 straight shots in the first quarter, finishing the period 2-18 (11.1 percent)
· Virginia started the game 6-of-9 from three-point range
· Both teams shot the ball well in the second quarter with A&T making four-straight attempts and UVA posting a 5-for-5 stretch midway through the period
· Both teams also finished strong with UVA going 8-of-13 (61.5 percent) and 4-of-6 from three-point range in the fourth quarter while A&T went 7-of-16 (43.8 percent)
· Jocelyn Willoughby had her second-straight 14-point game, matching her output from Sunday at ODU. Willoughby also had six rebounds and three assists
· Sophomore guard Brianna Tinsley (Madison, Va.) scored a season-high 10 points, one of three Cavaliers to finish the game in double figures