Charlottesville Announces Updates to August 12 Plans, ClosuresPosted: Updated:
City of Charlottesville Press Release:
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA - Various events are anticipated and planned to take place on the weekend of August 10-12 in the City of Charlottesville.
With input from the Virginia State Police, the Charlottesville Police Department, and the Charlottesville Fire Department, Interim City Manager Mike Murphy has determined that it is essential for the safety of persons and property that adjustments be made to City operations, city-sponsored events, vehicular traffic and parking restrictions.
Local residents and businesses are encouraged to review the following changes and, in advance, plan accordingly.
HIGHLIGHTS OF NEW INFORMATION
- Charlottesville City Hall, the City Hall Annex and the Parks & Recreation Administrative Office will close at 2 p.m. on Friday August 10. Other City facilities outside the Downtown Mall area will follow their regular schedules.
- Public access to Charlottesville City Hall will be limited to the main entrance on the Downtown Mall starting Tuesday, August 7. Public access to the City Hall Annex will only be available at the Market Street entrance (access to 2nd floor) starting Tuesday, August 7.
- The Charlottesville City Market will be canceled on Saturday, August 11.
- All City of Charlottesville Parks & Recreation facilities will be closed Saturday and Sunday August 11-12. This includes the following facilities: Carver Recreation Center, Key Recreation Center, Tonsler Recreation Center, Smith Aquatic and Fitness Center, Onesty Family Aquatic Center, Washington Park Pool, Meadowcreek Golf Course and the spray grounds at Tonsler, Belmont, Forest Hills and Greenleaf Parks.
- The time period of road closures and parking restrictions has been extended until 6 a.m. Monday, August 13. Closures begin at 6 p.m. Friday, August 10.
- Additional parking restrictions will be implemented on the streets immediately surrounding the Friendship Court Neighborhood (portions of Monticello Ave., Garrett St., 2nd St. SE, and 6th St. SE).
- The Market Street Parking Garage will only be available to permit holders and certain Downtown residents losing access to parking who have been issued a special permit beginning at 6 p.m. Friday, August 10.
- The Water Street Parking Garage will remain open to the public and is the preferred location for ADA parking needs.
- A media staging area will be established at Charlottesville High School's Martin Luther King Performing Arts Center beginning Friday, August 10 at 7 a.m. No media vehicles will be allowed on the City's closed streets or in a no parking zone effective at 6 p.m. Friday.
A comprehensive list of street closures was first shared on July 20, 2018. Changes to this plan may be made as necessary and two changes are noted below. Public safety personnel and vehicles will have access to all areas of Downtown throughout any events.
The streets listed below in the downtown community will be closed to traffic and on-street parking beginning at 6 p.m. Friday, August 10, 2018 through 6 a.m., Monday, August 13, 2018. Vehicles remaining on a public street in a no parking zone will be towed Friday evening.
The following streets will be closed to all vehicular traffic and on-street parking:
- West Market St., from West High St. to 1st St.
- East Market St., from 1st St. to 9th St. NE
- Old Preston, from West Market St. to West Main St.
- West Main St. from Old Preston to West Water St.
- West Jefferson St., from its terminus at McGuffey to 1st St.
- East Jefferson St., from 1st St. to Park St.
- 1st St. S, from Water St. to Main St.
- 1st St. N, from Main St. to High St.
- 2nd St. SW, from West Water St. to East Main St.
- 2nd St. NW, from West Main to West High
- 2nd St. SE, from East Water St. to East Main St.
- 2nd St. NE, from East Main St. to East High St.
- 3rd St. SE, from East Water St. to East Main St.
- 3rd St. NE, from East Main St. to East High St.
- 4th St. SE, from East Water St. to East Main St.
- 4th St. NE, from East Main St. to East High St.
- REVISED: 5th St. SE, from East Water St. to East Main St. - This street shall remain open for local access as shown on the original map.
- 5th St. NE, from East Main St. to East Jefferson St.
- East Jefferson St., from 5th St. NE to Park St.
ADDITIONAL PARKING RESTRICTIONS
- NEW: The streets immediately surrounding the Friendship Court Neighborhood (portions of Monticello Ave., Garrett St., 2nd St. SE, and 6th St. SE).
STREETS RESTRICTED TO LOCAL ACCESS
Beginning at 6 p.m. Friday, August 10, 2018 through 6 a.m., Monday, August 13, other streets will have restricted access and only those living and working in businesses in those immediate areas will have access. These local access roads are shown in yellow on the map included in this release. Residents and business owners/employees who will need to access these points of entry must be prepared to confirm the address of their destination at the entry point.
The Market Street Parking Garage will be closed to all but permit holders beginning at 6 p.m. Friday, August 10, 2018 through 6 a.m., Monday, August 13. Downtown residents who lose access to their private parking spaces in other locations covered by the road closures may obtain a temporary permit by visiting the City's Office of Economic Development or by calling (434) 970-3119.
Beginning at 6 p.m. Friday, August 10, 2018 and lasting through the end of service on Sunday, August 12, Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT) will shift its operations from the Downtown Transit Station to a temporary transfer hub on Avon Street Extended. The temporary shift will impact the Free Trolley, Routes 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12.
Routes serving the Avon Street Extended Transfer Hub will follow the published departure times of the Downtown Transit Station.
CAT would also like to alert passengers that its real-time information system will not accurately report arrival predictions while the detours are in effect.
ROAD CLOSURE MAP
There have been no changes to this map since it was published on July 20, 2018.