On July 1st Charlottesville Police detectives arrested Joby Easton McCauley, a resident of Keswick, VA. McCauley has been charged with four counts of felony embezzlement. She was subsequently released on bond.
McCauley has been employed by a local construction company and the embezzlement has occurred over a number of years. The loss to the business is substantial and the investigation is still on-going. If anybody has any information regarding this case please contact Detectives Bradley Pleasants or Lisa Best at 434-970-3280.
The Charlottesville Police Department offers the following to assist businesses owners in preventing embezzlement:
- Have an outside accounting source conduct yearly audits of all business accounts.
- Conduct monthly checks and balances of all accounts where employees are in charge of handling money.
- Before signing checks and/or documents make sure to proof read them for accuracy and legitamacy.
- When hiring employees to handle finances for your company conduct appropriate background checks and consult all references.
- Have in place effective internal controls. One of the strongest deterrents to committing fraudulent acts is the fear of getting caught.
Sign Up for Email Alerts
Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.