Quantcast

Crozet Harris Teeter Fire Caused by Inappropriate Use of Sparkle - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Crozet Harris Teeter Fire Caused by Inappropriate Use of Sparklers

Posted: Updated:

Crozet's Harris Teeter grocery store is back open two days after a fire forced the store to close its doors. Wednesday, the Albemarle County fire marshal confirms a store employee playing with sparklers sparked the blaze.

The fire marshal says an employee tossed a sparkler into the air early Monday morning. It landed on the roof and burned down into a stockroom.

“There was no criminal intent. It's an accident, and an accident that could have been avoided if they had read the safety instructions and followed fireworks safety,” said Howard Lagomarsino, Albemarle fire marshal.

The fire did about $25,000 in damage to the store. The employee will not be charged.

Harris Teeter reopened its doors at noon on Wednesday.

Albemarle County Fire Rescue Press Release

At 0155 hrs on June 30, 2014 units responded to 545 Radford Lane in Crozet, Harris Teeter, for the report of a commercial structure fire. Units arrived on scene at 0204 hrs and found smoke conditions throughout the store.

Fire crews worked to extinguish a fire in the service area of the store that had extended to the roof. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries as a result of the fire. The store will reopen at a time to be determined by Harris Teeter management. The cause of the fire was the inappropriate use of sparklers by a store employee. The fire was accidental and there will be no criminal charges. The Fire Marshal’s office estimates the property loss for this fire at $25,000. The loss estimate for any contents or product is undetermined at this time. Any questions can be directed to Assistant Fire Marshal Shawn Maddox.

Units responding to the fire were Crozet Volunteer Fire Department, Seminole Trail Volunteer Fire Department, Ivy Fire Rescue, Monticello Fire Rescue, Western Albemarle Rescue Squad, Albemarle County Fire Rescue, and the Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office.

The Fire Marshal’s Office would like to remind everyone to have a safe 4th of July weekend. Be fire smart when using fireworks, grills or any other open flames!

  • Sign Up for Email Alerts

    Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.

    * denotes required fields



    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.