Albemarle County Fire and Rescue Press Release
Fire units responded to 1161 Timber Trail Drive for a reported kitchen fire. The fire was reported to the leasing office by the occupant who resided at 1161 Timber Trail Drive. She reported that a fire was in her kitchen. The fire units received the call at 0918 hours and the first unit arrived at 0921 hours for the first alarm assignment.
Upon arrival, they found evidence of a fire in the kitchen. The fire had been extinguished by the occupant and maintenance personnel. The fire units ventilated the home to remove smoke and the dry chemical products of the portable fire extinguisher. They checked for any remaining fire but did not find any. There were no fire injuries to the occupant or firefighters that responded to the fire emergency. The leasing office personnel stated that the occupants will be placed into another unit in the complex until their unit is habitable.
The fire occurred as cooking oil was being heated in a pan. The fire was determined to be accidental in nature. The estimated fire loss is approximately $5,000.
Fire units responding to the scene were Seminole Trail, Monticello Fire Station, Hollymead Fire Station, Ivy Fire Station, City of Charlottesville Fire Station One and the Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office. All fire units have left the scene.
For additional information contact Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office at 434-296-5833.