A two-alarm fire destroyed a home in western Albemarle County Friday afternoon.
Fire crews say a neighbor noticed the fire on Clark Road in Crozet.
"When we arrived we had heavy fire through the roof of the structure with fire on three sides, so it was pretty well involved when we got here,” said Justin Ide of the Crozet Fire Department.
No one was home at the time.
According to an Albemarle fire marshal, they believe the fire might have been caused by cooking left unattended on a stove. They are still investigating the cause and there are no reports of any injuries.
PRESS RELEASE: At 13:44 hours on April 25, 2014 units responded to 4170 Clark Road for the report of a structure fire. First unit arrived on scene at 14:02 hours and found the resident fully involved. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries as a result of this fire. The gas stove in the kitchen was found to be in the on position and our investigation shows the cause could be from an unattended cooking event. The Fire Marshal’s office estimates the loss from this fire at $112,000. Any questions can be directed to Assistant Fire Marshal Mel Bishop.
Units responding to the fire were Crozet Volunteer Fire Department, Monticello Fire Rescue, Ivy Fire Rescue, Earlysville Volunteer Fire Department, Seminole Volunteer Fire Department, Hollymead Fire Rescue, Medic 502, BC 13 and Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office.
The Fire Marshal’s Office would like to remind everyone to never leave a kitchen stove unattended at any time. Approximately one in four fires occur because of unattended cooking. Please be safe.
Sign Up for Email Alerts
Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.