Quantcast

Crews Investigate Lakeview Drive Fire - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Crews Investigate Lakeview Drive Fire

Posted: Updated:
Crews respond to fire on Lakeview Drive Crews respond to fire on Lakeview Drive

Fire crews responded to a two-alarm blaze that broke out at a home off Four Seasons Drive in Albemarle County Thursday morning.

The call went out at about 7 a.m. for a mattress fire in a home in the 200 block of Lakeview Drive. Crews from 10 different units responded and put the fire out in about 15 minutes.

"In this neighborhood the houses are very close together. They're older construction, they're made of wood, and there's a good chance they would spread, but the initial fire crews on the scene did a wonderful job of containing the fire. It did not spread to any other units,” said Steve Elliott, battalion chief for the Albemarle County Fire Department.

Two people inside the home got out safely and nobody was hurt. After investigation, the fire was determined to be accidental in nature. Investigators did find remnants of a candle and its container near the area where the fire originated.

Albemarle County Fire Rescue Press Release

A single occupant and his two granddaughters were home this morning when a fire started in a rear bedroom. The room was occupied by the granddaughters at the time of the fire. The fire first appeared next to the bed down low. An attempt to extinguish the fire was made by one of the children. She was not able to extinguish the fire and alerted the other child. After an undetermined amount of time, the adult resident was made aware of the fire. He came upstairs, saw the fire and call the emergency number to get fire units to respond. He was able to confirm that the fire was in the same area originally described to me by the child.

The fire units were dispatched at 0704 hours and the first unit arrived at 0709. Upon arrival, the first fire unit noticed heavy smoke and fire at the rear of the home and some smoke on the side. Efforts were made to contain the fire observed on the outside by the first fire unit on the scene. The second fire unit arrived soon after and entered the home. They encountered heavy smoke throughout the first level of the home. They went upstairs to the rear bedroom to extinguish the fire and check for any extension to other areas of the home. They noticed the greatest amount of damage appeared to have occurred in the area of the bed in the room.

Other fire units arrived on the scene and assisted in controlling and extinguishing the fire. None of the occupants were injured and no fire department personnel suffered any injuries. The only smoke alarm installed upstairs in the home did not alert the occupants to the fire. The occupants will be displaced due to the fire but will reside with relatives until the home is habitable again. The estimated fire loss of the structure and contents are valued at $150,000.

During the interview process, I was able to obtain information that a candle had been used in the rear bedroom leading up to the fire event. It was thought that the candle had been extinguished before the fire started. The investigation of the fire confirmed that remnants of a candle and its container were found in the area where the fire originated. The fire was determined to be accidental in nature.

The units that responded to the fire were Seminole Trail Fire Station, Hollymead Fire Station, Stony Point Fire Station, Earlysville Fire Station, North Garden Fire Station, Ivy Fire Station, Monticello Fire Station, Albemarle County Fire Chief Dan Eggleston, Battalion Chief 11 and the Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office. The City of Charlottesville Fire Engine #1 provided mutual aid assistance with the fire.

“On behalf of the Albemarle County Fire Rescue organization, we urge all residents to check smoke alarm batteries at least annually and test the alarms monthly.”

  • Sign Up for Email Alerts

    Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.

    * denotes required fields



    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.