Fire Crews Battle Early Morning Flames in Albemarle County
Fire crews on the scene of a 2-alarm fire
Investigators say a bucket of hot ashes sparked a morning fire in Albemarle County Monday.
Fire crews arrived just before 6:30 to find flames showing from the back of 308 Westfield Road. The fire started on the deck, and then spread all the way to the attic of the duplex.
The fire marshal's office estimates the damage to cost more than $151,000.
There were no injuries and the Red Cross is helping out the family.
Albemarle County Fire Department Press Release:
At 0621 hrs on March 24, 2014 units responded to 308 Westfield Road for the report of a residential structure fire involving a deck. Units arrived on scene at 0626 hrs and found fire showing from the rear of an attached single family dwelling. Fire crews worked to extinguish a fire involving the first and second floors of the residence. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries as a result of the fire.
The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross. The cause of the fire is the improper disposal of ashes. The Fire Marshal’s office estimates the property and content loss for this fire at $151,680. Any questions can be directed to Assistant Fire Marshal Shawn Maddox.
Departments responding to the fire were Seminole Trail Volunteer Fire Dept, Hollymead Fire Rescue, Monticello Fire Rescue, Charlottesville Fire Department, North Garden Volunteer Fire Co, Ivy Fire Rescue, Stony Point Volunteer Fire Co, Earlysville Volunteer Fire Co, Charlottesville Albemarle Rescue Squad, Albemarle County Fire Rescue, Albemarle Fire Corps and the Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office.
The Fire Marshal’s Office would like to remind everyone to can your ashes! When cleaning out a wood stove, fire pit or grill the ashes should be placed in metal can, or bucket, with a lid which should then be placed at least ten feet away from your home or deck.
Sign Up for Email Alerts
Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.