Fire Crews Respond to Smoke at Burnley-Moran Elementary
Fire crews at Burnley-Moran
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va (WVIR) -
A fire alarm at Burnley-Moran Elementary Wednesday morning sent fire crews rushing to the scene and forced students and parents to wait outside in the cold.
The fire alarm went off just after 8 a.m., about the same time school starts. While fire crews investigated, parents and students waited outside in the rain, sat in their cars, or waited on school buses.
It turns out a freon compressor in the auditorium malfunctioned, causing smoke.
"Everything went really well and no one was ever in any danger,” said Chief Rich Jones of the Charlottesville Fire Department.
"We made sure the kids realized that they were safe. They wouldn't let us back in the building if they weren't. All the staff members have really pulled together,” said Dawn LoCasale, principal at Burnley-Moran.
Crews gave the all clear within the hour.
Fire Crews Respond to Smoke at Burnley-Moran ElementaryMore>>