Quantcast

Albemarle Crews Respond to Chimney Fire in Esmont - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Albemarle Crews Respond to Chimney Fire in Esmont

Posted: Updated:

A family has lost their home in southern Albemarle County after an early morning fire. Fire crews were called to the scene on the 4300 block of Sharon Road shortly after 1 a.m.

The county fire marshal, Howard Lagomarsino, found the cause to be a malfunctioning chimney. He says this was the third heating-related fire within the past couple of days.

“For chimneys and things like that, you need to have those inspected once a year - usually in the fall before the heating season starts. Get it checked out because as a chimney gets older, it starts deteriorating,” Lagomarsino said.

The fire marshal estimates the loss at $130,000. No one was injured.

The family is currently staying with relatives in the area.

Albemarle County Fire Rescue Press Release

At 0047 hrs on March 4, 2014 units responded to 4357 Sharon Road for the report of a residential structure fire. Units arrived on scene at 0113 hrs and found fire showing from the roof and second floor of a single family dwelling. Icy road conditions and near zero degree temperatures hampered suppression efforts. Fire crews worked to extinguish a fire in the second floor and attic of the residence. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries as a result of the fire.

The family will be staying with family in the area and did not require assistance. The cause of the fire is a malfunctioning chimney, (the second fire of the same cause in 24 hours). The Fire Marshal’s office estimates the loss for this fire at $130,000. Any questions can be directed to Assistant Fire Marshal Shawn Maddox.

Units responding to the fire were Scottsville Volunteer Fire Dept, Monticello Fire Rescue, North Garden Volunteer Fire Co, Ivy Fire Rescue, Fauber (Nelson County) Volunteer Fire Dept, Albemarle County Fire Rescue, Albemarle Fire Corps and the Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office.

The Fire Marshal’s Office would like to remind everyone to heat safe! Have your heat source cleaned and/or inspected annually!

  • Albemarle Crews Respond to Chimney Fire in EsmontMore>>

  • Sign Up for Email Alerts

    Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.

    * denotes required fields



    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.