Waynesboro Man Arrested for Threatening to Burn Down House - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Waynesboro Man Arrested for Threatening to Burn Down House

Posted: Updated:
Tony Davis Tony Davis

A Waynesboro man could spend the next decade in prison for threatening to burn someone's house down.

Police say over the weekend 39-year-old Tony Davis repeatedly called 911 and when he didn't get the response he liked, he said he might as well set fire to a woman's home.

Investigators say Davis called the emergency operation center repeatedly, each time asking for help in recovering his money from someone else. When the dispatcher told him this was a civil matter, police say he became belligerent.

Police say the calls began pouring in Saturday evening. During the final attempt to get his money back, officers say he expressed his intent to burn down the house of the person who had his cash.

Officers say, while this is an unusual case, a larger concern is misuse of the dispatch line. And that repeat calls for non-emergencies can waste time and hinder the abilities of emergency responders.

"When you have someone tying up the line over something that is not only civil, but pretty much ridiculous, and then cursing the dispatcher, it was pretty stressful and tiring for the dispatcher,” said Sergeant Brian Edwards with the Waynesboro Police Department.

Waynesboro police say the threats involved someone else who lives in the city. Davis is being held at Middle River Regional Jail on a $2,000 bond

He has his next scheduled court hearing in March.

Waynesboro Police Department Press Release

The Waynesboro Police Department has arrested a Waynesboro man after he threatened to burn down a house in a recorded call to the Waynesboro Emergency Operation Center.

Tony Davis, 39 years old, has been charged with one felony count of threatening to bomb or burn a structure.

On February 22 at approximately 5:30 PM, Davis called the 911 line of the WEOC seeking some assistance in recovering some money. With each call, he became more and more belligerent with the WEOC dispatcher. On his last call, he threatened to burn down the house of the individual who had his money. He obviously forgot he was calling on a recorded line.

Officers arrested Davis on February 23 at the Wilco Hess gas station. He is being held on a $2000 bond at Middle River Regional Jail.
  • Sign Up for Email Alerts

    Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.