ALBEMARLE COUNTY, Va (WVIR) -
A house in southern Albemarle County is a total loss Friday because of a morning chimney fire.
The call went out from 6882 Porters Road in Esmont around 8:40 a.m.
The people who live at the home were inside when the fire started, but everyone got out safely.
"Well, certainly the very frigid cold weather has put stress and strain on a lot of heating systems and we're seeing an increase in the numbers of fires and this is a situation that's really happening nationwide,” said Dan Eggleston, Albemarle County fire chief.
Albemarle County Fire Rescue Press Release:
At 08:39 hours on January 31, 2014 units responded to 6882 Porter’s Road for the report of a wall in flames inside a residence. Units arrived on scene at 08:51 hours and found flames extending through the roof of the residence.
Fire crews worked to extinguish the flames that had extended from a wall at the furnace in the basement to the roof. There were no civilian or firefighter injuries as a result of this fire. The cause of this fire is classified as a chimney fire.
The Fire Marshal’s office estimates the loss from this fire at $100,000.
Any questions can be directed to Assistant Fire Marshal Mel Bishop.
Units responding to the fire were Scottsville Volunteer Fire Department, Monticello Fire Rescue, North Garden Volunteer Fire Department, East Rivanna Volunteer Fire Department,Stony Point Volunteer Fire Department,Scottsville Rescue and Medical Unit, Albemarle County Fire Rescue and Albemarle County Fire Marshal’s Office.
The Fire Marshal’s Office would like to remind everyone to heat safe, have your heat source and chimney inspected annually.
Sign Up for Email Alerts
Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.