Albemarle County fire investigators blame spontaneous combustion for sparking a large mulch fire at a lumber company Sunday.
Crews responded to a report of a piece of equipment on fire at Campbell's Lumber along Plank Road shortly before 3:00 Sunday morning.
Mel Bishop, the county's assistant fire marshal, says the flames spread from a large mulch pile that spontaneously combusted and ignited the nearby equipment.
Blowing embers also caught a building's door on fire.
“It generates heat, and the biggest thing for the situation is to make sure that you spread the mulch out, water it down, so that it doesn't generate that heat and build up and then spontaneously combust,” Bishop said.
The fire marshal's office estimates the damage at between $3,000-$5,000.
No one was injured.
Sign Up for Email Alerts
Sign up to receive news, weather, and breaking news emails from the NBC29 newsroom in your inbox daily.