UPDATE: Cause Determined in Blaze that Destroyed Albemarle County Home
Dick Woods Road
ALBEMARLE COUNTY, Va (WVIR) -
Firefighters have determined the cause of a blaze Sunday night that destroyed an Albemarle County home.
They say a deteriorating wood stove was to blame. No one was home when the fire started.
It happened in the 4200 block of Dick Woods Road in Ivy just before 5:00 Sunday evening. The fire completely destroyed the house, and when crews arrived at the scene, they found it wasn't going to be easy getting to the house to it put out.
“We had a very long driveway, approximately 2,000 feet,” said Matthew Alcolo, Albemarle County battalion chief. “It's ice-covered from the recent winter storms, tight bends in the driveway."
The fire trucks were unable to get up the long hill, so they ran piping 2,000 feet up the driveway to transport the water from bins holding 3,000 pounds of water.
Piping was relayed through several smaller trucks into hoses stretching up the hill to the home.
“We got one larger truck up there that was delayed because of the conditions, and we've got two smaller trucks that we used to pull the four-inch supply hose,” Alcolo said.
Water was finally pumped up to crews at the top, but not before the house had collapsed in on itself.
The owner, who was not home when the house caught fire, is now staying with relatives.
UPDATE: Cause Determined in Blaze that Destroyed Albemarle County HomeMore>>