Quantcast

UPDATE: Apartment Fire in Albemarle Displaces Family - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

UPDATE: Apartment Fire in Albemarle Displaces Family

Posted: Updated:
Fire crews at Mallside Apartments Fire crews at Mallside Apartments
Albemarle County fire crews dealt with a smoky situation at Mallside Forest Apartments Monday morning.

The call went out just after 9 a.m. Fire crews say a chair went up in flames in the 800 block of the Mallside Forest community. Investigators say the fire, which began in a trash can after a lit cigarette was discarded, caused a chair to go up in flames. 

No one was home at the time, but the family was displaced and damages are estimated at $10,000.

Albemarle County Fire Rescue Press Release

At 9:08 on January 6, 2014 units responded to 815 Mallside Forest Court Apt. 102 for a report of smoke coming from an apartment. At 9:13 the first arriving units reported smoke coming from a window.

Crews worked to extinguish the fire located in the family room of the apartment. No civilian or fire fighter injuries reported on this fire.

The family was displaced due to the fire, with damages estimated around $10,000. At this time the Red Cross is assisting the family with a place to stay. 


The fire was the result of a cigarette left smoldering in the family room. No one was home at the time of the fire.

Units responding to the fire were Seminole Trail Fire Department, Hollymead Fire Rescue, Ivy Fire Rescue, Earlysville Fire Department, Monticello Fire Rescue, Albemarle County Fire Rescue, Albemarle County Fire Corps and Albemarle County Fire Marshals




  • Sign Up for Email Alerts

    Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.

    * denotes required fields



    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.