On Friday, 30 small Christmas trees were donated to the residents and placed in their rooms.
But almost as soon as the trees were plugged in and the Christmas lights twinkled on, the center's maintenance director cut every cord.
“They didn't get permission from anyone they just done it,” says Monte Hickman, whose aunt is a resident.
Center administrator Nick Arose says, “He didn't want to take the trees away from the residents so he clipped the cords so they couldn't be plugged in so that the lights would not be able to come on.”
He even cut the light cords on trees powered by batteries.
The center's administrator says he will replace the lights, but still no one will be allowed to plug them in because it's a fire hazard.
Hickman says that compromise isn't enough for his aunt who has now lost her holiday cheer.
“She is so upset about it,” he says. “It made her sick.”
Now residents are permitted to plug in their own cell phones, fans, and radios.
The center maintains these items have different electrical wiring and that it's just trying to protect them from the fire threat.
Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.