Quantcast

Stanardsville Streetscape Project in Final Weeks of Construction - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Stanardsville Streetscape Project in Final Weeks of Construction

Posted: Updated:
Stanardsville Streetscape Enhancement Project Stanardsville Streetscape Enhancement Project
GREENE COUNTY, Va (WVIR) -

Construction crews are in the final weeks of transforming the streets of downtown Stanardsville.

The town's streetscape project is more than half way done and work is set to wrap up by the end of the month.

"At first when you get started with all the demo work and the disruption, people were having second thoughts,” said Stanardsville Mayor Gary Lowe. “But I think now that they can see the finished product people are real happy about it."

One half of the downtown area is complete, but across the street it's still a construction zone.

Business owners along Main Street are excited that construction is coming to an end.

John Pluta, owner of Noon Whistle Pottery, is excited for the streetscape upgrades.

"It’s been a few years in the making but it’s finally coming together and they are doing a great job up there. It looks wonderful," he said.

Workers are installing new street lighting, benches and crosswalks, and trees and landscaping.

The project cost about $800,000. A VDOT grant funded 80 percent of the cost. The other 20 percent came from community contributions.

Mayor Gary Lowe says property owners have been supportive through the construction process.

"All of them voluntarily gave of easements and right aways because they understand this helps the curb appeal of their property and also just makes the town look great," Lowe said.

Mayor Lowe says the town has applied for another grant to complete phase two of the streetscape project. The town will have to raise 20 percent of the value of that grant. So far the community has donated $8,000 dollars for the second phase.

Mayor Lowe says the town won't find out until spring if it's been approved for the phase two grant.

If the weather cooperates, this first phase should be complete in time for this year's Christmas parade on December 7.

  • Sign Up for Email Alerts

    Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.

    * denotes required fields



    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.