A Fluvanna County family is heartbroken after a fire destroyed their home and took the life of their pet.
The home on the 400 block of Old Poplar Springs Road burned to the ground Wednesday morning, and the foundation is the only thing that's left. Amy Davis says she had just left her home to go to a doctor's appointment when she got a call that it was on fire.
A few minutes later when she returned, the entire home was in flames. The wooden two-story structure then imploded on itself and rapidly burned to the foundation.
Davis and her husband John owned the home for more than 20 years and raised three children there. Even after the fire was largely put out, Davis could not take her eyes off of the house as she spoke with us.
“Everything we own is in the home, all of our photographs of our kids from day one, everything we own and my pet my dog,” she said.
The family lost their pet poodle, Pumpkin.
She says the home was originally built in the 1890s and has sentimental value to the family and the community.
Investigators will begin to figure out how the fire began after the structure cools.
While the Red Cross is already helping the family, Davis said she is devastated and doesn't know where they will stay or how they will move on.
A "Go Fund Me" fundraising page has been started in order to help the family get back on their feet. The fundraising goal is $2,000. To donate, click here.
Fire Destroys Fluvanna Family’s Home, Kills PetMore>>