The model kitchen that was burned during the live demonstration.
Fire prevention week wraps up in Albemarle County with crews intentionally setting rooms of a house ablaze.
Albemarle County Fire and Rescue crews held a live burn demonstration in the parking lot at Fashion Square Mall Saturday. Firefighters set two model kitchens on fire and talked to the crowd about cooking safety - including limiting the number of combustible items near the stove.
"I know when I'm cooking there's a Tupperware container of what I'm using here and empty stuff there and we start getting stuff around the stuff that's combustible, which will contribute to the fire," said Albemarle County fire marshal Howard Lagomarsino.
The model kitchen that didn't go up in flames had a fire stop that released chemical extinguisher when the flames reached the range hood.
Crews also remind everyone to have a working smoke detector.
Sign Up for Email Alerts
Sign up to receive news, weather, and breaking news emails from the NBC29 newsroom in your inbox daily.