New details are emerging about a University of Virginia student who died over the weekend in D.C. after falling ill at a concert. Witnesses have told metro police investigators Shelley Goldsmith took the drug known as Molly, described as ecstasy in its purest form, before she died.
Metro police tell NBC4 in D.C. they are now investigating this and if toxicology results confirm molly use, it would be the fourth Molly-related death in recent weeks. Two people died after taking the drug at a concert in New York City and another person died in Boston. Several others were taken from the New York concert in critical condition.
News that a fellow student may have died after taking the drug is quickly spreading at UVA. Students say the situation is sad - and scary.
"A lot of college kids think that they're invincible but they're not and we had to find that out the hard way," one student, who wished to remain anonymous, said.
Charlottesville police say the drug is not a problem in the city because it is typically seen in nightclubs, something Charlottesville doesn't have many of. But at the university, Molly is seen more often than people might expect.
"You hear about the drug all the time now with teenagers and college students and I know that it's popular and people think that they can take it and be fine," said another student who wanted to remain anonymous.
"I haven't witnessed any use or anything but I know that it exists. I imagine that there's at least some people who use it here," said UVA student Scott Connuck.
Autopsy and toxicology reports are pending. Police won't make a final determination of Goldsmith's death until those results come back.
‘Molly’ Use May Have Caused UVA Student’s DeathMore>>