Albemarle County Fire & Rescue wants to make some important points about safety after a fire over the weekend. The fire started early Saturday morning and destroyed a trailer on Diamond Court.
Fire marshals say an overloaded power strip that ran almost an entire entertainment system in the living room was to blame. They want to remind everyone to only purchase certain kinds of surge protectors.
"They should buy only third-party listed and labeled so like UL - the reflective stickers on the back of surge protectors that have circuit breakers or fuses in them and also not to overload them. One or two things plugged into them is fine, but you shouldn't try to fill every outlet up," said Shawn Maddox, assistant fire marshal.
Albemarle Fire & Rescue also stress that you should test your smoke alarm once and month and batteries should be replaced every six months.
Albemarle Fire & Rescue Offers Safety Tips After Weekend FireMore>>