Quantcast

Mobile Home Fire Sends Albemarle Woman to Hospital - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Mobile Home Fire Sends Albemarle Woman to Hospital

Posted: Updated:
The mobile home is a total loss. The mobile home is a total loss.

Doris Fuentes, 44, is being treated at the University of Virginia Medical Center. Fuentes is still recovering from the injuries sustained in the mobile home fire that destroyed her home. She is in stable but critical condition. 


An Albemarle County woman is in the hospital after a fire destroyed her mobile home early Saturday morning.

The fire started in the mobile home in Southwood just after 3 a.m. Angela Lopez lives next door and was the first to call 911.

"I was freaked out. I was scared," she said.

Thirteen-year-old Lopez says she's only slept a few hours since flames engulfed the Southwood mobile home - just feet from her own bedroom window.

"I heard screams and I looked in the window and I see Junior - he's the woman's son. We all know each other. We're all practically family," she said.

Lopez says her neighbors - a 16-year-old boy and his 44-year-old mother - were in the trailer on Diamond Court when the blaze started.

"I see him outside. He's screaming for help. He's saying it in Spanish of course, and he's saying it and his voice is going away because he's screaming so loudly," Lopez said.

Seeing the panic, Lopez called 911 twice as her family members helped to free the woman trapped inside her home.

"He just broke the wall, like under the little tiny wall, he broke the hole and that's how they got her out because they couldn't get her out from the window or anything because my cousin, he broke the window from her room to try and get her out from there," she said.  

Albemarle Fire and Rescue crews arrived on scene seven minutes after that first call at 3:15 a.m. Lopez says her relatives pulled the woman to safety before firefighters arrived - and just in the knick of time.

"Right when she got out, the flames got in her room," she said.  

Fire investigators say a power strip in the living room sparked the fire. The home is a total loss. Albemarle County Fire and Rescue estimates the loss of the home to be $45,000.

There is no word on the woman's condition at this time.

  • Mobile Home Fire Sends Albemarle Woman to HospitalMore>>

  • Sign Up for Email Alerts

    Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.

    * denotes required fields



    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.