Man Convicted of Manslaughter, Maiming Under the Influence - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

UPDATE: Man Sentenced on Manslaughter, Maiming Under Influence

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE (11/25/2013):

As an update, the man who was previously convicted on 8/16/13 was formally sentenced today. Yesterday, was the one year anniversary of the death of the victim. Judge Sanner sentenced the Defendant to a total of 8 years and 3 months in prison. The sentencing was continued from November 6, 2013 because the defense said they had a new witness to suggest a victim lied in court. The new witness was a fellow inmate of the Defendant and the Court ruled today that the fellow inmate was not credible and proceeded to sentencing. The sentence was as follows:

Aggravated Manslaughter: 20 years with all but 15 suspended

Maiming, 5 years with 2 suspended

DUI, 12 months with 9 suspended.

The defendant also must pay $100.00 per month to the Commonwealth for 10 years as part of the suspended sentence to help pay the Medicaid expenses for the victim.

ORIGINAL (8/16/2013):

Louisa County Press Release

Louisa – Louisa Commonwealth's Attorney Rusty McGuire announced that Judge Timothy K. Sanner convicted Lawrence Hawk, II, 24 of aggravated manslaughter, maiming another while under the influence and driving under the influence of alcohol. The evidence at trial established, that Hawk picked up two others on November 23, 2012 and all consumed alcohol. The victim of the maiming, Justin Sprouse, testified that Hawk's driving was so dangerous that he pulled up the emergency brake so Hawk would slow down. After visiting friends Hawk continued to drive and half of a mile later he went off the road wrecking into a tree.

Louisa Fire EMS teams triaged all three men. One was air lifted to U.V.A and the other two were transported by ambulance. On the way to the hospital, Hawk told authorities that he was the driver and offered three different explanations for how the accident happened. Trooper Martin Kriz, of the Virginia State Police had Hawk's blood drawn at the hospital and a toxicologist from the Virginia Department of Forensic determined his alcohol .14. Almost double the legal limit. Numerous doctors at University of Virginia Hospital tried to save the other passengers but he succumbed to his injuries. Mr. Sprouse was paralyzed following the wreck but has made a miraculous recovery. However, he carries numerous scars on his head and neck. At trial, counsel for the defendant argued his client was not the driver because his confession was unreliable. He argued his client's injuries and the amount of alcohol in his system as reasons it was unreliable. He also challenged the credibility of the passenger's testimony because of his alcohol consumption.

On speaking on the conviction, McGuire said "there is no happy ending in this case. One mother lost a son, another man wears scars of this tragic night. Another young man faces years in prison. This case represents the worst dangers of drinking and driving. "

Hawk is scheduled to be sentenced on November 6, 2013 and faces up to 26 years in jail.

  • Sign Up for Email Alerts

    Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.