Travel, Planning Information for Naturalization Ceremony at Monticello
Albemarle County Police Department Police Department Press Release
The Albemarle County Police Department would like to share some important travel and planning information regarding the upcoming Naturalization Ceremony at Monticello on Thursday, July 4th, 2013. The ACPD is working with representatives from Monticello to ensure that the event is a safe and enjoyable celebration for everyone attending.
Traffic around Thomas Jefferson's Monticello will be significantly impacted on the morning of July 4th. If you are not attending the event, please try to avoid the area. There are no planned road closures; however, we do expect significant congestion. We expect traffic delays near I- 64 at mile-marker 121, U.S. 20 South and Route 53. The ACPD Traffic Unit will be on site directing traffic. Message boards will also be in place to direct event and non-event traffic. General admission parking for this event will be directed to Piedmont Virginia Community College. Parking lots along the Saunders-Monticello Trail will be closed until 11am; the Trail and parking lots will reopen to the public at 11am. Cars will not be allowed to park on the streets near Monticello. Expect delays from about 7am until about 12:30pm.
The Albemarle County Police Department is working closely with representatives from Monticello regarding event security. As with any event of this size and magnitude, the event will be staffed with additional resources from the ACPD, Virginia State Police, University of Virginia Police Department and also Monticello security. Fire and rescue officials will also be on-site providing safety services. Our main objective is to ensure the event is a safe and enjoyable one for everyone participating and attending.
We encourage everyone to plan ahead and expect delays surrounding the event. We will do our best to get you in and out of the event in a safe and timely manner. We want everyone to enjoy this celebration at Monticello.
Attached is a list of prohibited items:
• ALL weapons, including firearms, knives (including pocket knives and pen knives), mace (or pepper spray), any dangerous items, and any "dual-use" items that could be dangerous are strictly prohibited.
• Scissors, sharp instruments, and tools are prohibited.
• Monticello will not allow visitors to bring in bags, including backpacks of any size, shopping bags or duffel bags of any kind.
• Do not carry any of these types of items into the security screening area. If you are unsure about an item, please do not bring it.
• Large packages, suitcases, carry-on luggage and other large parcels will not be permitted.
• Coolers, lawn furniture, animals, fireworks or firecrackers, tobacco products are prohibited.
If the media has questions regarding the event, please contact : Kathryn Goodson, Web + Media Specialist, Monticello, 434-984-7570 or email@example.com. Emily Barge, Weber Shandwick, 202-585-2037 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign Up for Email Alerts
Sign up to receive NBC29 news and weather updates in your inbox daily.