Fire in Augusta Destroys Home - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Fire in Augusta Destroys Home

Posted: Updated:

An afternoon fire destroyed a home in Augusta County. 

Firefighters were called to the house on Rising Sun Lane near Sherando just after 2 p.m. Tuesday.   

The first crews on the scene said flames had already overtaken more than half of the home. Strong winds helped spread the fire, and tankers had to set up temporary pools for a steady water supply.

There have been no reports of injuries.

Firefighters have not yet identified what started the blaze.

Augusta County Fire and Rescue
Press Release

(Augusta County) On March 19, at approximately 14:01 the Augusta County Emergency Communications Center (ECC) received a 911 call reporting a trailer on fire at 127 Rising Sun Lane. Fire-Rescue crews from Wilson, Dooms, Stuarts Draft, Augusta County, and Wintergreen responded.  While enroute, fire crews advised that smoke could be seen from far away and requested the alarm be declared a "working incident" which automatically added additional resources to the incident. Fire-Rescue crews arrived to find a double-wide trailer engulfed in fire. Wilson Volunteer Fire Chief 19 established command of the incident.

Upon their arrival, firefighters went to work attacking the fire. Firefighters had to set up a water supply operation to provide water to the fire scene. Additionally, crews were challenged by shotgun shells exploding in the fire and also had to contend with extremely high winds. The strong winds helped spread the fire throughout the structure. At 15:55, the fire was declared under control.

Upon initial investigation, the fire is considered to be accidental. The fire is believed to have started in the garage area, possibly from a wood stove. The home appears to be a total loss and was valued at approximately $100,000. The Virginia State Police Fire Investigator has been notified to conduct an investigation.

No one was home when the fire occurred. There were no injuries reported to civilians or firefighters, but it is reported that a dog and a cat were killed in the blaze. There were four people living in the home, which appears to be a total loss. The Red Cross was notified to assist the displaced family.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.