Quantcast

Overnight Fire in Augusta Leaves Family Homeless - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Overnight Fire in Augusta Leaves Family Homeless

Posted: Updated:

Flames destroyed a home in Augusta County overnight,  leaving a woman and her two sons looking for a new place to live.  

Augusta County Fire and Rescue responded to the blaze just before 2 a.m. Tuesday along Meade Park  Circle in Verona. Crews say most of the trailer home was engulfed by the time they arrived.   

A woman and her two sons managed to escape safely. They credit the family dog with barking to alert them of the fire.

Investigators believe an electrical problem sparked the fire.

Damages are estimated to be about $40,000.


Augusta County Fire and Rescue
Press Release

On March 19, at approximately 01:58 the Augusta County Emergency Communications Center (ECC) received a 911 call reporting a trailer on fire at 47 Meade Park Circle. Fire-Rescue crews were immediately dispatched.  The dispatch center received multiple calls reporting the fire.  Responding fire crews were advised that the caller stated the fire was in the back of the trailer. Fire-Rescue crews arrived to find a trailer well involved with fire. Flames had already consumed most of the trailer home. The fire was coming through windows on all sides and was fire was also causing damage to a nearby trailer home. The Augusta County Duty Officer arrived and established command of the incident.

Firefighters were immediately directed to attack the burning structure and simultaneously protect the nearby trailer home from heat and flames. Crews were initially concerned about three large propane tanks sitting near the burning structure. Hose streams were directed onto the tanks to keep them cool while the main fire was being extinguished. Because of the intensity of the fire, crews attacked the blaze from the outside.

 All occupants and their pets safely escaped the burning home prior to the arrival of the firefighters. The female occupant stated that the family dog barking alerted them to the fire. There were no injuries reported to civilians or firefighters. There was one adult female, and two sons living in the structure. The home appears to be a total loss. Damage is estimated at approximately $40,000.  The Red Cross was notified to assist the displaced family. The family did not have insurance.  Firefighters from Verona, Augusta County, Staunton, and Weyers Cave responded to the blaze. EMT's from SARS also responded.

Upon investigation, the fire is considered to be accidental. It appears the fire was possibly caused by an electrical problem.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.