What started as a relaxing vacation turned both dangerous and scary for a group of visitors at a Louisa County resort.
Saturday night, a hotel went up in flames at the Shenandoah Crossing Resort, but luckily none of the guests were harmed. An employee of the resort was treated for smoke inhalation but he is OK as of Sunday night.
Gordonsville Fire Chief Ronnie Johnson says he believes the fire started in the kitchen of the hotel, clearing out 20 guests that were inside.
He says heavy fire was showing as soon as crews showed up on the scene. Johnson says it appears the fire was accidental; however there is not an official cause yet. There was, however, a problem with the water supply on site - Johnson says this caused the crews to bring in water tankers.
"We ended up having some tankers coming in. We had an extended ET on scene time because of the tankers coming in and hitting fires," he said.
Because the fire was mostly concentrated in the kitchen and ballroom areas of the lodge, Johnson says he does not believe any belongings left inside the rooms were damaged.
It took seven different fire companies from Louisa and Orange counties to put the fire out. Johnson says the building had a working sprinkler system and smoke alarms.
Molly joined the NBC29 news team as a general assignment reporter in September 2012.Full Story
Molly joined the NBC29 news team as a general assignment reporter in September 2012. She graduated from University of Missouri where she majored in broadcast journalism. Email/Follow on Twitter/ Full Story