Albemarle Fire Crews: Be Cautious of Generators - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Albemarle Fire Crews: Be Cautious of Generators

Posted: Updated:

Power outages across Central Virginia following Wednesday's winter storm have many using generators for power - but they can be dangerous.

Albemarle County fire crews want people to be aware of the hazardous carbon monoxide generators can give off. At least one person in the county already had to be taken to the hospital for treatment. 

When a generator is too close to a house, the ventilation system can pull in the exhaust - with tragic consequences.

"Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas so you don't even know it's there until you start feeling sick, so some of the symptoms to look out for are flu-like symptoms, dizziness, headache, nausea. If you start experiencing those things, get out of the house, get to fresh air and call for help," Howard Lagomarsino, fire marshal.

Lagomarsino says never put a generator inside your house and make sure it is far enough away from the house. He also says not to overload your generator, because that can cause a fire.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.