As the temperatures dip it's easy to turn the heat way up in your home. Charlottesville fire officials want you to cool down a second, and take some time to learn about the safety precautions involved because if something in your home overheats, it can become deadly.
Fire officials said they see several incidents involving space heaters and kerosene heaters each year.
They said you need to make sure there's nothing laying on top of your space heater. It's good to leave at least three feet of space around it so nothing catches fire, and things like wet clothes could especially be a problem.
As for kerosene heaters, fire officials said to make sure that they're properly maintained, never move them while hot, and never fill them with kerosene while lit.
"We just want people to stay safe, remain cautious, and be careful while they're using these appliances," said Charlottesville Fire Department Public Information Officer Richard Jones.
One of the most important tips: don't forget to turn your heaters off when you leave the room and especially when you leave the house.
The Charlottesville Fire Department also has a program to give free smoke detectors to anyone in the city who needs one. Call (434) 970-3245 to schedule an appointment for a detector to be set up.
Engineers and conductors who run the trains for Norfolk Southern took NBC29 along for a ride through Charlottesville, sharing heartbreaking stories in hopes of keeping people off the tracks. Full Story
Engineers and conductors who run the trains for Norfolk Southern took NBC29 along for a ride through Charlottesville, sharing heartbreaking stories in hopes of keeping people off the tracks.Full Story