A family is out of their home after a destructive fire early Wednesday morning in Fishersville.
When fire crews arrived on scene, the house on Ida Court was completely engulfed in flames. One adult, a teenager and their pets escaped the flames unharmed.
Investigators believe the fire may have started outside near the front porch in a mulch bed.
The Red Cross is assisting the family.
Augusta County Fire-Rescue Press Release
Submitted by Deputy Fire Chief Mike Armstrong January 30, 2013 (10:30) Structure Fire 21 Ida Court Fishersville (Augusta County)
At approximately 03:15 the Augusta County Emergency Communications Center (ECC) received numerous 911 calls reporting a house on fire on Ida Court in Fishersville. Fire crews were immediately dispatched to a structure fire at 21 Ida Court.
While enroute to the scene, responding crews reported seeing a large orange glow in the area and declared it a working incident. The declaration of a "working incident" automatically upgrades the level of response and adds additional fire companies to the assignment.
Fire-Rescue crews arrived to find a two story house with a large volume of smoke and fire visible. Flames had already consumed most of the two story structure and the fire was burning through the roof. The fire spread throughout the home, engulfing the entire structure.
Embers produced from the fire spread throughout the neighborhood and briefly caused concern for other home owners. Adjacent homes received heat damage from the intense fire; several houses sustained melted siding. A fence in the rear of the burning structure was severely damaged.
Fire crews immediately began working to protect the surrounding houses and began extinguishing the burning house. The fire was quickly brought under control.
One adult, one teenager, and their pets escaped unharmed. There were no injuries reported to civilians or firefighters.
Once the fire was brought under control, fire crews remained on scene until around 06:30 conducting extensive overhaul operations to ensure the fire was fully extinguished.
The fire appears to have started outside near the front porch in a mulch bed. The fire is under investigation, but at this time appears to be accidental in nature.
Shenandoah Valley Electric was requested to respond to disconnect the electrical service to the home. The Red Cross was also notified to assist the displaced family.
Fire crews from Fishersville, Augusta County, New Hope, Waynesboro, along with the Waynesboro First Aid Crew responded.