Family Publicly Thanks Staunton Firefighter Who Saved Their Son
The parents of Jack Jordan want to publicly thank the Staunton firefighter who saved their young son last summer.
With his training, experience and quick action, T.M. Robertson revived the then-6-week-old baby who was blue and limp in his arms. Now the child's parents want to make sure Robertson and his team get the praise they deserve.
Lauren and Jason Jordan are about to celebrate their first Christmas with their six-month-old son, Jack.
"He brings us more joy than we ever could imagine. And we're just blessed to have this little... the best Christmas present ever, right here," said Lauren.
They almost lost him one night in July. Diagnosed with the respiratory disease pertussis, Jack sometimes went into coughing fits and struggled to catch his breath. But that night, Jack completely stopped breathing, turned blue and went limp.
The Jordans called 911 and immediately drove to the nearby Staunton Fire Station 2. There, they put their baby into the hands of firefighter T.M. Robertson.
"That's my worst nightmare...didn't have time to mentally prep going to the call as we sometimes do. It's just ‘tag, you're it,'" said Robertson.
Captain Mike Lyle with the Staunton Fire Department said, "He did great. I mean, I wouldn't ask for anyone else to have been there with me that night…stepped up quick, reacted...did what he had to do to save a life."
The Jordans repeatedly warned Robertson of their son's highly contagious bacteria. The firefighter-EMT just hoped his vaccine was enough, and went to work. While his fellow crew members got equipment and medical history, Robertson cleared Jack's airway and delivered mouth-to-mouth.
Those precious minutes of breath not only saved this infant's life, but may also be why he suffered none of the brain damage that doctors feared. But Roberton's not entirely comfortable being called a hero.
"Maybe for this little baby Jack, for that family, if that's what they want to call me I'll gracefully take it. But I'm just doing my job, and you know I would do it for anyone," Robertson said.
"It's amazing that they have that attitude," said Lauren. "But the world needs more people like them."
Last Saturday, Jack and his parents went to the Staunton fire department and saw Robertson for the first time since that fateful night. An emergency call cut the visit short, but the family hopes for a longer one during the holidays.
Family Publicly Thanks Staunton Firefighter Who Saved Their SonMore>>