Quantcast

Crozet Family Warns of Fire Risk - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Crozet Family Warns of Fire Risk

Posted: Updated:

Two weeks have passed since a family in Crozet lost almost everything in a fire that was ignited by a bathroom fan. Now they are speaking out so others can make sure their homes are safe.

After the Monge family's home caught fire due to an overheated $12 bathroom fan, neighbors helped them find and furnish a rental home in Crozet. It will take 8 months for the home to be repaired and damages cost around $200,000.

 "It's important for people to know that their fans are liable to do this…. It's the third house in a year that this has happened to," said Gus Monge.

Components like dust and lint cause the fans to heat up and can catch fire inside the fan. Most fans have a cover that you can pull out and vacuum to avoid this.

When shopping for fans, Albemarle County Fire and Rescue investigators suggest buying one with a thermal shut off. That will make the fan shut off when the heat starts building up.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.