A person checking their mail box in Scottsville got a scare around 6:30 Thursday morning when they noticed a white powdery substance in the post office.
That person called 911 after noticing traces of the substance around the framing of their mailbox. Hazmat crews began roping off the post office right away.
Postal workers were told to wait outside while an entry team was sent in to investigate if the white powder was toxic or not.
After about two hours the substance was identified as silicon dioxide. It's often used to keep packages dry during shipment.
Timmy Cersley of the Scottsville Volunteer Fire Department said, "You never want to go in and say this is probably just baby powder, somebody playing around and then it could be something very dangerous. So it takes about an hour for this thing to set up, they go in and check it and then we can clear it and everybody is OK."
Cersley says silicon dioxide is relatively harmless. It can irritate the eyes.
No one was injured and the post office has reopened for business.
Jennifer Von Reuter joined the NBC29 news team in June 2009 as a general assignment reporter. Prior to joining NBC29, Jennifer worked as an anchor and reporter for WHAG-TV in Hagerstown, MD. Email/Follow on Twitter/ Full Story
Thursday, July 24 2014 5:06 PM EDT2014-07-24 21:06:07 GMT
Virginia State Police say two were killed and at least 20 injured when a fierce storm slammed a campground on the state's Eastern Shore.Full Story
The sky turned black and cellphones pinged with emergency messages. Moments later, a tornado ripped through a sprawling, carnival-like campground Thursday, snapping dozens of trees and flipping over RVs.Full Story