The Charlottesville Fire Department spent much of Tuesday afternoon cleaning up a smelly mess at Wachovia bank's downtown location.
Around 1:00 p.m. Charlottesville fire crews responded to reports of a gas leak at the Wachovia Bank. The building was evacuated shortly afterwards.
Upon investigation it was discovered that it was a sewage leak in the basement, not a gas leak. Crews say the bank's drain system backed up causing a drain-cleaning chemical to bubble up to the surface.
While the backup didn't pose a health hazard to customers, crews spent hours cleaning up and working to ventilate the building.