Buckingham County Toddler Badly Burned - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Buckingham County Toddler Badly Burned

Posted: Updated:

A Buckingham County toddler is lucky to be alive after she was set on fire last weekend. Family members say 3-year-old Kayla is being kept sedated, after suffering 2nd and 3rd degree burns on her face, arms and chest. The Sheriff's Office says an 8-year-old who set the girl on fire, is related to her. Right now, investigators don't know whether this was an accident or intentional.

"Everybody just loves her to death. She's smart, she's just so smart and intelligent. I just can't imagine this ever happening," says Alice Sales, Kayla's step-grandmother.

Sales and her husband Bob say they're in contact with UVA's burn center on an hourly basis. They say their step- granddaughter Kayla goes in for surgery for her burns today.

"I think they will take care of her neck and her chest first since that is the worst. They took the bandages off of her face yesterday, and just her lip and her nose, you know, was kinda burned," Sales says.

The Buckingham County Sheriff's Office says Kayla was set on fire at a home on Shelter Store Road. They say an 8-year-old boy was playing with an alcohol-based antifreeze and a lighter.

"We just have not determined at this point whether an actual crime has been committed. And hopefully further investigation will reveal one way or the other," says Christopher Fishburne from the Buckingham County Sheriff's Office.

It was at the home of Kayla's maternal grandfather. Bob sales, Kayla's step-grandfather, says he is simply distraught and can't get the image out of his mind.

"He told me that he picked her up after the fire had been put out and she hollered 'help me papa, help me, help me,' and he's in terrible shape," says Sales.

The Sales were anticipating celebrating her 4th birthday this August with a pool party, and a brand new sliding board is waiting for her.

"This year I don't think we'll be doing that...uh, we'll have to come up with something different," says Sales.

Deputy Fishburne says no charges have been filed, the case remains open and has been turned over to investigators.

Reported By NBC29 HD News

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVIR. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.